Google Summer of Code 2009

Hi Sebastian and Tobias,

I am a final year undergraduate in the Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India and I would like to work in the summers on the auto-parallelization of loops in the Graphite framework. I'll be have a long summer break of 3 months and I would like to pursue this project under Google Summer of Code 2009.

Since coming across the project, I have gone through several papers describing the polyhedral model and I am really excited about working on this representation. My interest in compiler optimizations and auto-parallelization dates back to some advanced courses that I have undertaken in my undergraduate studies. I have completed courses on "Advanced compiler optimizations" and "Parallel Execution of Programs", both of which exhaustively covered various loop optimization on SSA forms. I also have good programming knowledge in C/C++ and my experience includes design of a complete compiler (both front end and the back end) of fortran95 as part of my basic undergraduate course. I have also implemented a library supporting the parallelization of partially parallel loops using the R-LRPD Test.

To delve deeper into compiler's research I will be joining the graduate school at UIUC from next Fall. I feel that working on this project would give me great pleasure and it would be the best way I could have ever spent my long vacations. I think we can implement most of the classical optimizations - loop permutation, loop fusion / fission, strip mining, etc in the summers. As I do not know what all optimizations are expected to be covered in the project could you please help me with the problem before I write my project proposal.

Thank you.

Regards,
Pranav Garg.