Re: GCC 4.4.0 Status Report (2009-03-13)

Jeff Law wrote:

> The first camp sees FOSS toolkits as a means to help them sell more
> widgets, typically processors & embedded development kits.  Their belief
> is that a FOSS toolkit helps build a developer eco-system around their
> widget, which in turn spurs development of consumable devices which
> drive processor & embedded kit sales.   The key for these guys is free,
> as in beer, widely available tools.  The fact that the compiler &
> assorted utilities are open-source is largely irrelevant.

  That depends!  The fact that the toolchain is open-source means we can
maintain and bugfix our releases and provide feature enhancements to better
support our customers.  If we bought in a proprietary closed compiler we'd be
critically dependent on the quality of the supplier's support in order to
ensure the growth of that eco-system, an externality we might well want to
avoid predicating our success upon.

    cheers,
      DaveK