Re: GCC 4.4.0 Status Report (2009-03-13)

Steven Bosscher wrote:
On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 4:05 PM, Jeff Law <law@redhat.com> wrote:
I think you're wrong.  Many of these players are large companies (such
as IBM and now, RedHat).  Putting them in the position of having to
"reject" the official FSF contribution is awkward for them.

I'm sorry, but I don't see it that way.

Having been on the front lines on this issue in the past, I can say our
customers certainly cared about it and therefore we (Cygnus, now Red Hat)
care about it.

Perhaps it was true more 12 years ago than today. The whole idea of FOSS is probably better understood than 12 years ago. At least, projects like Linux and LLVM attract contributions from large companies without involvement of the FSF.

These companies really don't care about FOSS in the same way GCC developers do. I'd be highly confident that this would still be a serious issue for the majority of the companies I've interacted with through the years.

jeff