Re: GCC 4.4.0 Status Report (2009-03-13)

> This is the FSF's official GCC repository.  In the FSF's repository, I
> think we have to honor FSF instructions.  In a separate repository --
> or, I suppose, if we explicitly told the FSF not to consider this their
> official GCC repository -- the GPL of course gives us the freedom to do
> as we please with respect to technical decisions.

I think you missed Daniel's point, though.  I think he was addressing the
issue that you raised about "playing in a different sandbox".  I think he's
right that, if you took a vote, most *developers* wouldn't care whether it
was the FSF sandbox or some other, but I think that misses the point about
the effects on the community of GCC *consumers* (and I mostly mean system
integrators, not users) if the most heavily-developed version of GCC isn't
the official FSF one.  We had this situation with EGCS and we don't need to
do it again.