Interpreting stack frame

Hello,

I just started hacking around with the gcc internals, so apologize if
this is a noob
question:

How can I interpret the stack frame of the current_function? That
means, how can
I tell what is stored at the location FP+xxx. If that is not (easily)
possible, it would
help if I can somehow determine the type of data stored at that
location (i.g is that
a reference to a variable or the contents of a variable).

I tried to tackle the problem inside expand_prologue and via
var-tracking, but to be
honest I don't have enough knowledge about gcc internals to handle the problem.

Any help or hints would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
peter