Re: GCC 4.4.0 Status Report (2009-03-13)

Steven Bosscher wrote:

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Richard Guenther <rguenther@suse.de> wrote:
We have been asked by the SC to not branch for now but wait for
the wording for the new runtime license to arrive from the FSF and
that being put in place.

This is the saddest thing that I have seen in GCC politics so far.

That's just because you haven't been around long enough.

It *is* however, the saddest thing I've seen since we (the egcs developers) have been handed the GCC maintainership in April, 1999 by the FSF.

I don't mind if the FSF asks us to hold up the release of 4.4 until the run-time library license is finalized.

What I *do* object to is micro-management by the FSF in "preventing" us to make a 4.4 branch.

If we have a 4.4 branch, people could commit the megabytes of stuff that's now piling up in developers branches, home changed repositories, private patches, etc.

It's just bad economics.

--
Toon Moene - e-mail: toon@moene.org (*NEW*) - phone: +31 346 214290
At home: http://moene.org/~toon/