Re: New GCC Runtime Library Exception: not fit for purpose

Joern Rennecke wrote:
> Quoting Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com>:
>> I'm not sure what your point is here.  newlib is not under the GPL in
>> any case.  It is not affected by the gcc runtime library license.
>
> The old runtime library exception allowed you to distribute binaries that
> both include pieces of the gcc runtime and arbitrary pieces of newlib,
> without requiring the distribution to be under the terms of the GPL.
> I.e. your could link non-GPL code against both the gcc runtime and newlib
> and distribute it.
> The new license does not allow this unless all parts included from newlib
> are written in a high level language AND use the gcc runtime.

If they do not use the GCC runtime, why should those parts be affected
by the GCC runtime license?  If anything, the loophole in the exception
is that, if you rewrite libgcc, then you can use a non-eligible
compilation process and still distribute the result under a proprietary
license.

Paolo