Re: New GCC Runtime Library Exception

Joseph S. Myers wrote:

> Then there are lots of other miscellaneous license issues: files that have
> been added with GPLv2 on the host side since the main transition was done,

> ....  I don't know what issues are or are not considered how critical.

Let's not turn this into a complete license audit.  Let's face it: in a
project as big as GCC, there are certain to be some files with incorrect
notices.  The FSF is very clearly on record as to what they intend the
license to be; the actual notices matter, but the intent is clear.

Fixing the other issues is of course general goodness, but the FSF isn't
going to sue anybody because we forgot to fix some random header
included through various levels of indirection and thus someone could
make a claim that some part of libgcc is missing the exception.  And no
judge is likely to uphold such a claim.

Just finding the files that currently have an exception and updating
them to the new exception -- a single, uniform exception across the
source tree -- is going to be a big win.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery