Re: prologue length

"Vincent R." <forumer@smartmobili.com> writes:

> I am working on a gcc-4.1.2 and I would like to know how the prologue
> length from a function can be calculated.

The question is not well formed.  The instructions which are part of
the prologue (e.g., saving callee-saved registers onto the stack) can
be interspersed with instructions which are part of the function
proper.  This happens routinely in gcc's second scheduling pass.

> Indeed I am trying to evaluate what needs to be done to implement SEH and
> one requirement is to be able to
> fill a structure holding information like function length and prologue
> length.

I haven't looked at SEH.  How does it use this sort of information?
What should happen when the prologue is not a unitary block of
instructions?

Ian