Re: __Unwind_GetIPInfo on Darwin 8.11

On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 01:22:35PM -0800, Geoffrey Keating wrote:
> Jack Howarth <howarth@bromo.med.uc.edu> writes:
>
> > Iain,
> >    The use of the system libgcc simply won't work on Mac OS X 10.4.
> > The missing __Unwind_GetIPInfo only exists in libgcc_s.10.5.dylib
> > and not libgcc_s.10.4.dylib...
>
> Replacing or modifying the system libgcc is not recommended and may
> break in the next version of Mac OS X.  It's not clear to me what this
> will mean for GCC development.
>
> You can see the exact commands the regression tester used in the build
> log file at
> <http://gcc.gnu.org/regtest/HEAD/native-lastbuild.txt.gzip>; basically,
>
> + /Users/regress/tbox/svn-gcc/configure --prefix=/Users/regress/tbox/objs --target=powerpc-apple-darwin8.5.0
> + make -j2 bootstrap
> + make -j2 -k check
>
> No extra flags, no moving stuff around, nothing added or deleted from
> the GCC source tree; that would defeat the purpose of the regression
> tester, which is to test the actual GCC in the repository.  There is
> some strangeness in the system configuration: GMP and MPFR are
> installed in /usr/local as static libraries, and I seem to
> remember the system is running with a modified kernel, containing a
> patch which makes dejagnu work, which is why it's running 10.4.5.
>
> 10.4.11 is significantly different from 10.4.5 and from 10.5.  I
> believe it adds a shared libgcc and libstdc++.  It may be that GCC
> does not work on 10.4.11.
>
> You can find the exact scripts the tester uses to run the build in
> contrib/regression in the GCC source tree.  The tester checks out the
> tree and runs the scripts from the checkout.

Geoff,
   I think you misunderstood my intention with that statement. I wasn't
suggesting that Iain move a libgcc.so.10.5.dylib onto a different machine.
Rather I meant that the offending symbol, __Unwind_GetIPInfo, was only added
to the system libgcc for 10.5 so that Tiger's system libgcc would never
be able to provide it.
                   Jack
ps With regard to building llvm-gcc42, the substitution of the system
libstdc++ for the FSF copy is documented here...

http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm-gcc-4.2/branches/release_24/README.LLVM