Re: Cygwin support

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Andrew Haley wrote:
>
> > So do that, then.  Where's the problem?
>
> I suppose it's not a problem if the alternative is no plugin support at
> all.  It just seems a little ugly for the plugin author to have to
> distribute 'n' trivially different but substantially identical copies of
> their plugin binary for Windows users where a single file suffices for
> users of ELF systems.  (And I'm sure that the required build-system
> magic to cope with that will not be particularly pretty.)

As I understand it, there is an alternative - put all the shared code in a
DLL on Windows if configuring with plugins enabled, and link both the
plugins and cc1, cc1plus etc. with that DLL.  If people wish to enable
plugins on Windows I see no reason for them not to implement this.  (And
the basic build support for building plugins and taking accounts of host
differences would hopefully be provided with GCC for people to copy into
their plugins.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com