Re: Including free compiler in a comercial software

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 06:09:28PM -0400, Robert Dewar wrote:
> Cristian Harja wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'm a young developer, with very strong knowledge about programming,
> >especially C++. I am working to one of my greatest projects. I'm building
> >up a framework that can create native Win32 applications, console
> >applications, and provides intelligent and efficient classes to manage
> >different types of data.
> >
> >Since this framework is a set of classes, templates and functions, I need
> >a compiler to "bring it to life". I want to create my own programming
> >environment,including a class browser (for the framework), a header
> >manager (to include / exclude components), and detailed documentation. I
> >want to SELL this software, so there's going to be a problem. I can't make
> >my own compiler, and free compilers, usually should not be comercialized.
>
> There is absolutely nothing to stop you selling a package that contains
> GPL'ed software, lots of companies do this. The idea that "free
> [software] compilers should not be commercialized" is misguided.
> If it makes sense to sell a package that includes gcc or other
> such components, you are free to do so. Of course you will have
> to include the sources of the compiler, but that's no big deal.
> It makes perfect sense to sell a package like this, of course
> we would prefer to see you sell your framework as Free Software
> as well, and encourage you to consider this possibility. Remember
> the Free in Free Software is about non-restrictive user-friendly
> licensing, not about free in dollars!

Note, it is somewhat more complicated than just include the source files.  See
the file COPYING3 for the rules and regulations for current compiler sources
(GNU public license version 3, or gplv3), and COPYING for the rules and
regulations for 4.1 or earlier releases (GNU public license version 2, or
gplv2).  For example, you must not restrict the rights of people who get the
compiler from you, and your changes to the compiler itself must be compatible
with the appropriate gpl.

> >I want an advice, or an approvement to include GCC in my program (of
> >course, mentioning it). I would also like to know if there are several
> >compilers that can be "comercialized" this way. I do not intend to sell
> >any free compiler. I am not going to provide any source code from my
> >framework (only ".lib" and ".h"). I can't provide just the headers and a
> >lib, or something, because I don't know what differences may exist between
> >the compilers.
> >
> >Please answer me at <cristianharja@yahoo.com>

If you are including GCC in your program, your program needs to be licensed
such to allow this (typically gplv3).  If you are just providing the compiler
as a separate package without modifications, then this is a much simpler matter
(this is allowed under section 4 of the gplv3).  You really would need to talk
to a lawyer to get an understanding of the rules and regulations for anything
complicated (hint, most of the people reading this mailing list are not
lawyers).

--
Michael Meissner, IBM
4 Technology Place Drive, MS 2203A, Westford, MA, 01886, USA