Re: [lto][RFC] Do not emit hybrid object files

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Diego Novillo <dnovillo@google.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 16:51, Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> If the version of GCC being used isn't compatible with the version of the IL
>> in the object file, we can just fall back on the final code.
>
> Fair enough.  But this could be provided via a flag to optionally emit
> final code.  The more common scenario is likely to be hermetic builds
> that use the same compiler throughout.  Duplicating code generation
> for *every* build seems too wasteful to make it the compiler's default
> behaviour.

The idea was that people did not have to change their makefiles. If
some static library provided by vendor 1 does not include the real
machine code, then the build just fails.  So having the machine code
by default is still seems like the correct idea to go forward and
provided a flag to turn off it if really needed (though I think it is
bad to have two different modes in this case).

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski