Re: plugins vs. licensing

Joern Rennecke wrote:
Couldn't the plugin interface require a copyrighted passphrase to be
sent by the plugin when it registeres, and the passphrase can then
be licensed under the GPL.  Thus, plugins that want to interface with
an official FSF gcc will have to be GPLed in order to talk to the
plugin interface, and we don't need to tinker with the runtime licensing.

I must say that I am confused by this whole issue, it is clear to me that gcc and a plugin are part of an integrated program and not a mere aggregation, so I have no idea why a proprietary plugin would be allowed. If you write a program which can ONLY function as an extension of another program, it is clearly a deriviative work of that other program I would say. Oh well off topic for this list ...