Re: IRA copy heuristics

On Thu, 2008-09-04 at 20:28 -0400, David Edelsohn wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 7:39 PM, Vladimir Makarov <vmakarov@redhat.com> wrote:
> > Meanwhile I am going to submit your second patch with an added
> > comment.  The patch permits gcc to generate the same quality code as
> > before your first patch.
>
> Why?
>
> As Richard said before:
>
> "... it changes
> the heuristics _without any explanation of why this is necessary_.
> IMO, that's unacceptable for our shiny, new (and generally very nice)
> register allocator.  And I think it's unacceptable even if it happens
> to fix a performance regression."

I have to agree with Richard and David here.  I find it troubling that
allocation order affects performance by anything other than a small
amount due to heuristic noise.  It might be in the end there is a
valid reason on why Richard's patch has a positive benefit, but until
we know why, I'd rather wait.

Peter