RE: configuring in-tree gmp/mpfr with "none"?

> Because at some point, no released version worked on intel macs.

Long since passed and can be removed?
Or only do it on those machines??
  Granted, the Python-wrapping-build I'm doing ought to work as well on Intel Macs as anywhere else.

Here is what ends up happening:

 #include
 #include

 int main()
 {
    signal(SIGPIPE, SIG_IGN);   << Python does like this
    putenv("M4=foo");    << gmp/configure does like this
    system("flex 1.l");    <<  gmp/configure does like this
    return 0;
 }

Without ignoring sigpipe, flex dies in filter_tee_header reading the output of a failed exec.
Ignoring the signal under a Python wrapper however, it continues on
and deletes the output, causing gmp/configure to fail because it is looking
for the output.

gmp/configure is where the blame really lies, but if gcc configured gmp "normally",
this wouldn't occur. Or, is cpu=none not so abnormal? Just that I hadn't seen it?
(Everything new and normal is initially new and abnormal, of course.)

 - Jay