Re: unsigned comparison warning

Hariharan <hariharans@picochip.com> writes:

> I found something rather strange with the unsigned comparison warnings
> in GCC.

questions about using gcc.  Please take any followups to
gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org.  Thanks.

> and i did gcc -O2 -c trial.c, then i get a warning
>
> trial.c:6: warning: comparison is always true due to limited range of data type
>
> It works the same way if i used an unsigned short. But, if i use
> unsigned int/long, i dont get this warning. This is on x86. Is there
> an explanation for this?

You neglected to mention the version of gcc.  In current gcc, I don't
see any warning when using "gcc -O2 -c trial.c".  I see a warning for
both "unsigned char" and "unsigned int" when I add the -Wextra option.

Ian