Is this the expected behavior?

Hello all,

I am not sure if this the right mailing list.

I am involved in the porting of gcc 4.1.2 for a 16 bit target.
In some cases i noticed that callee save registers were getting
allocated in the body even though there isn't any function call. I
believe that callee save registers will be allocated only if some
variable values are required across a function call. So if there is no
function call there shouldn't be any callee save registers used in a
function body. So my question is will GCC allocate callee save
registers for function even if the function doesn't call any other
function?
Or is this a gcc bug?

Hope my question is clear.

Regards,