Re: New branch for STL Advisor

The advisory tool aims to give high-level suggestions, mostly focuses on the access pattern and size of STL.
Such as, shown in example, we want to decide the right initial size for the container to reduce execution time as much as possible.

Another case is we can suggest that a hash-map is more efficient than a list for a particular usage because it has a few lookup over a large amount data .

In my understanding, the tool depends more on the concept and implementation of each container than the timing of real execution.
Thus, so far the debug mode is good to capture those behaviors. Another reason for debug mode is we don't want to mess up with the real execution mode.

I think the real execution will be more interesting for more fine grain tuning suggestions, like latency level. But then we also need to consider the overhead of
instrumentations, which insert many extra instructions.

Lixia

Paolo Carlini wrote:

Also, maybe it's just me, but the specific advantages over normal profiling / existing tools, don't seem completely obvious, I'd like to see that point discussed in better detail...

Paolo.