Re: gcc-in-cxx branch created

On Jun 22, 2008, at 4:24 PM, Bruno Haible wrote:

Dear Ian,

A comment regarding the GCC-in-C++ idea. In slide 16 you merely answer

"C++ is too complicated!"

with

"Maintainers will ensure that gcc continues to be maintainable."

C++ has, for example, 12 different ways to represent or invoke a function.
It has no buikt-in typesafe "enum"s. Sooner or later developers will think
more about
"should this better be a member function or a static inline function?"
or "how do I make dynamic_cast work with my enum sets?"
than about the algorithm they want to implement.

How can maintainers ensure this does not happen?

What is your suggestion, stay with C? It doesn't have type safe enums either.

-Chris