Re: gcc-in-cxx branch created

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 2:01 AM, Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com> wrote:
> As I promised at the summit today, I have created the branch
> gcc-in-cxx (I originally said gcc-in-c++, but I decided that it was
> better to avoid possible meta-characters).  The goal of this branch is
> to develop a version of gcc which is compiled with C++.  Here are my
> presentation slides in PDF format: http://airs.com/ian/cxx-slides.pdf .

I, personally, think this would be a great step forward from a
maintainability perspective, especially if we use those C++ features
that can help eliminate many of the macros we currently have in GCC.

The first step seems to be to make sure that GCC compiles as C++ now
(I know there's been work in this direction), and for us to make sure
that this property is maintained in the mainline compiler. The C++
front end would be a good place to start moving toward C++.

  - Doug