Re: Security vulernarability or security feature?

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

I think Java handles it OK for floats. I.e. Tests for positive
infinity and negative infinity etc.

Float is another matter entirely, the problem discussed here is for integer overflow. By the way, according to microsoft developers wrt the vista code base, integer overflow problems are the second most serious source of bugs (after buffer overflows)

I don't think Java handles it for integer maths. I agree with you. Big
oversight for the Java spec developers.

It seems strange that the huge advantage of range checked integer arithmetic, familiar for a long time from Pascal and Ada, escaped the attention of Java designers.

It would have been nice to also have some good handling of reals but
that is a compete other story.

Not sure what you mean by reals (as opposed to float)