Re: Adding knowledge of the int_fastN_t types to the compiler, take 2

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Benjamin Kosnik wrote:

> My strong preference is to just predefine:

First the compiler needs to know all the types, in a way consistent with
existing headers (including the choice between long and int where they
have the same size, etc.) for any system which has such headers or for
which a more recent version has such headers, which is what the present
discussion is about.

Then, once it knows the types (or any subset of them), you can indeed
predefine such macros for the types it knows.  You can also write a
stdint.h, only installed on systems which don't have their own if you so
wish, that uses the macros.

> __INT8_T__

I'd suggest __INT8_TYPE__ for consistency with the macros such as
__SIZE_TYPE__.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com