Re: Copyright assignment wiki page

FX Coudert wrote:
Moreover, our contribute page says "the GCC maintainer that is taking care of your contributions" and there is no documentation to maintainers, so that part at least is wrong: maintainers don't know what to do. Or else, I just didn't receive the maintainer welcome package including the appropriate documentation :)

See http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/ http://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/

The FSF defines maintainer a bit differently than the gcc project. In the FSF view, the GCC SC is the maintainer of GCC, and no one else. When the FSF appoints a maintainer for a package, they usually do point the new maintain at appropriate document, but gcc has so many sub-maintainers(?) that not all of them get the info they need. Note that these documents assume you have an account at the FSF, which true maintainers do, but most gcc sub-maintainers(?) don't.

More fundamentaly, I think it's a strange pattern when an open-source project makes the path harder for our contributors.

This is unfortunately a problem with the US legal system, not a problem with the FSF.

I'd point out that other GNU (or not) projects have the same form on their website, e.g.

Other people making mistakes does not give us permission to make the same mistake.

By the way, the main reason why the FSF doesn't want the forms up for public view is that most people who grab them from there will fill them out wrong. This just creates more work for the FSF. Hence the FSF generally prefers that you just point people at them first, and then the FSF will fill out the necessary forms to ensure that they are done right.

Jim