Re: Thread starvation and resource saturation in atomicity functions?

"Chad Attermann" <chad@broadmind.com> writes:

> I can not confirm that it was the i386 code included in the gcc build
> but it appears that way from the signature.  Is this perhaps a problem
> with the way that gcc 3.4.3 shipping with Solaris 10 x86 was built?
> Should it have opted for the i486 version instead that does not use
> spin-locks?

Yes, barring the extremely unlikely case that you need to run a plain
i386, you should use the i486 code from libstdc++-v3/config/cpu/i486.
There are various difficulties with the i386 atomicity code.
Fortunately the i486 was released almost 20 years ago, and it's
generally safe to use the i486 instructions today.

Ian