Re: [trunk] Addition to subreg section of rtl.text.

Richard Sandiford wrote:
Paolo Bonzini <bonzini@gnu.org> writes:
I think one reason is that allowing zero_extracts of multi-word modes is
(like this subreg thing) a little hard to pin down.  What happens when
WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN && !BYTES_BIG_ENDIAN
Unless I had my grep wrong, the only such machines to do this are PDP11 and ARM with special flags (-mbig-endian -mwords-little-endian) that were "for backward compatibility with older versions of GCC" in 1999 [1].

So, is this special case worth keeping?

Good question. Unless I'm missing something, PDP11 isn't yet on the deprecrated list. Is that right? If so, I suppose we can't remove it before 4.5 at the earliest.

It was in the 4.3 list, then Paul Koning stepped up to do some work on it but then nothing happened.

[context for Paul: PDP-11 is the last target for which BYTES_BIG_ENDIAN != WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN]

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2008-01/msg00339.html

Paolo