Re: Official GCC git repository

* Daniel Berlin:

> They could have made massive strides since then (this was a little
> over a year ago), but I wouldn't trust anything with that large of a
> scaling issue to have solved it in such a short time.

They still compute revision numbers on the fly in many commands, which
means that the performance isn't even close to GIT (or Subversion with a
reasonably fast connection to the server, for that matter).

If you like GIT, it shoud be relatively painless to use it with the GCC
Subversion repository.  The only annoyance is that "git svn dcommit"
transmits changed file as a whole to the server, which can take a while
for large Changelog files.  On the other hand, getting GIT repositories
into other formats can be quite painful because GIT doesn't care about
file identity, but other systems do.