Re: [RFC] GCC caret diagnostics

On 13/03/2008, Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:39:25PM -0700, Chris Lattner wrote:
>
> In the case of an unitialized variable, accurate warnings require good
>  dataflow analysis that can handle correlated variables; something like
>  gated SSA might be needed to prevent false warnings about paths that
>  are infeasible because of flags in the code.  But once the issue is
>  found, simply naming the variable and the file/line where it is declared
>  suffices to inform the user.

I would say that for me it is insufficient (and for those reporting
bugs in -Wuninitialized seems to be insufficient as well) to find out
why GCC thinks the variable may be used uninitialized. You typically
need to look to a dump of the SSA form to actually find out.

Anyway, I think we moved slightly off topic here. Getting the
locations right is in general a much complex task than simply
providing caret diagnostics that show whatever location we happen to
have at hand.

Cheers,

Manuel.