Re: Official GCC git repository

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Tobias Grosser <tobi-grosser@web.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 16:38 +0100, Bernardo Innocenti wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > many people seem to be finding our git mirror of the GCC repo
>  > useful:
>
>  Sure, I am using it since several weeks and it is a great
>  improvement in many areas.
>
>  For me it seems that the git mirror does not hurt in any way. Sure,
>  this mail can be seen as the beginning of a discussion about the
>  best VCS for gcc. And therefore as a final decision to use git
>  exclusively.
Well, no.
We will never use git exclusively as long as it requires as many
workflow changes for people as it currently does.  This is not me
speaking for the gcc community, this is me telling it like it is based
on experience moving us to svn.
Even simple things, like having to do git diff -rHEAD instead of git
diff to see added files, etc.
Regardless of how fast it is, until the UI is something people don't
have to think about to work with, it's not going to fly.
Sad but true.

>  But I think it is not necessary to decide at this moment.
>  Let's just give more developers the opportunity to try and use a
>  different VCS, which has some great advantages.

If someone on overseers wants to set up a gcc git mirror, that is fine
(fche may do it for you, in fact). However, we don't (for various
reasons, some technical, some political), allow offsite things to be
considered official parts of our infrastructure.
Thus, I am opposed to adding a link to git.infradead.org, but not
opposed to a link to a git repo on gcc.gnu.org.

>  > At this time, the repository is being synch'd every quarter
>  > hour (actually 03,18,33,48 * * * *), and carries all branches
>  > (although only a few are displayed).  If people think it would be
>  > useful, we could install a commit hook on gcc.gnu.org to mirror
>  > each commit immediately.
>
>  Should be quite useful. A post commit hook, does not slow down svn
>  commit operations, right?

Sadly, it does in most cases (which is why i don't have an hgpullsvn
hook in post-commit) due to the requirement that it trap errors and
output.

I'm not sure it matters if the repo is 15 minutes behind for any real
work, however, and if a repo was put on gcc.gnu.org, ther ewould be no
problem having a cron job that syncs it

--Dan