Re: libtool for shared objects?

Roberto Bagnara wrote:
Basile STARYNKEVITCH wrote:
But I'm not sure to understand the relation between libtool & $(LIBTOOL) (ie @libtool@)

I will tell you what (I think) is the relation in projects using Autoconf, Automake and Libtool.

@LIBTOOL@ is a placeholder that stands for the Libtool main script.
In the Makefile.in files, you will find lines of the form

LIBTOOL = @LIBTOOL@

Thanks for the hint. Apparently, this line is not enough alone. Besides, the set of autoconf/automake/libtool version is not the same in gcc/ subdirectory and in others. I remember having read there is some issue but I don't remember which one. The gcc/ subdir is a strange untamed beast. And other sub-directories using libtool (like libmudflap/) have both a Makefile.am and a (automake generated?) Makefile.in - it seems that the gcc/ subdirectory don't use automake (yet?).

So I tried to add to gcc/configure.ac the following lines (which exist in libmudflap/configure.ac)

  AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
  AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
  AC_SUBST(enable_shared)
  AC_SUBST(enable_static)

and it does not work:

(cd /usr/src/Lang/basile-melt-gcc/gcc && autoconf)
configure.ac:434: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_LIBTOOL_DLOPEN
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:435: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
(cd /usr/src/Lang/basile-melt-gcc/gcc && autoheader)

Regards.