Re: RELEASE BLOCKER: Linux doesn't follow x86/x86-64 ABI wrt direction flag

On 3/6/08, Jack Lloyd <lloyd@randombit.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 07:13:20PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>  > A process can send a signal via kill.  IOW, a malicious process can
>  > *control when the process would be interrupted* in order to get it into
>  > the signal handler with DF=1.
>
>  If the malicious process can send a signal to another process, it
>  could also ptrace() it. Which is more useful, if you wanted to be
>  malicious?

And more to the point, it can happen before GCC 4.3.0.  So why does
GCC have do something that just happens more often now?  I still don't
see why we have to work around a bug in the kernel which could show up
before GCC 4.3.0.

-- Pinski