Re: RELEASE BLOCKER: Linux doesn't follow x86/x86-64 ABI wrt direction flag

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 9:17 AM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa@zytor.com> wrote:
> H.J. Lu wrote:
>  >>
>  >>  Not a fix, an (optional) workaround for a system bug.
>  >
>  > So that is the bug in the Linux kernel. Since fixing kernel is much easier
>  > than providing a workaround in compilers, I think kernel should be fixed
>  > and no need for icc/gcc fix.
>  >

>  The problem is, you're going to have to be able to produce binaries
>  compatible with old kernels for a *long* time for come.  Are you
>  honestly saying you'll tell those people "use gcc 4.2 or earlier"?  If
>  so, I think most distros will have to freeze gcc for the next several years.

Icc has been following psABI for years on Linux and it doesn't stop people
using icc on Linux.  On the other hand, it may be a good idea to provide a
workaround in gcc and enables it by default.  OSVs can fix thekernel and
disable it by default.

We can even issue a message whenever the workaround is used.

H.J.