Re: Linux doesn't follow x86/x86-64 ABI wrt direction flag

On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 08:00:42AM -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Linux should definitely follow the ABI.  This is a bug, and a pretty
> serious such.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of kernels out there already with this
problem, and the symptoms are likely to be subtle.  So even if it is true
that it is the kernel that is "in the wrong", I think we still are going
to need to give users a workaround from the gcc side as well.

So I think gcc at least needs an *option* to revert to the old behavior,
and there's a good argument to make it the default for now, at least for
x86/x86-64 on Linux.