This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: compiler slowdown in 4.3 development
- From: David Daney <ddaney at avtrex dot com>
- To: Bruno Haible <bruno at clisp dot org>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:46:31 -0800
- Subject: Re: compiler slowdown in 4.3 development
- References: <email@example.com>
Bruno Haible wrote:
Here's a case of a function whose compilation with -O2 -g (the default with
autoconf) on Linux/x86 has slowed down by 67% since the 4.2.2 release.
$ time gcc -c -O2 -g -Wall sha512.c
Measured user time.
gcc 3.2.2 42.2 sec
gcc 3.3.6 71 sec
gcc 3.4.4 29.0 sec
gcc 4.0.4 24.5 sec
gcc 4.1.2 12.6 sec
gcc 4.2.2 10.7 sec
gcc 4.3-20080215 17.9 sec
Was it configured with --enable-checking=release? You really should do
that if you want a fair comparison.