RE: New GCC ICI v0.9.5 (bug fixes + new examples)

Hi Taras,

Thank you for your message! Our main work (GCC-ICI) is
slightly orthogonal to plugins - our main goal at the moment
is to improve or automatically tune optimization heuristic
for evolving systems. However, naturally we implemented
it as a plugin system and we would be happy to have
a unified one instead of having different versions
doing similar things. Particularly, our final goal
is to show that we can make GCC (or other compilers)
fully modular and then we will clearly need a unified
plugin interface.

Unfortunately, we don't have enough people to work on the
plugin system itself at the moment - we now spend most of the
time on statistical search techniques to optimize programs
but I may have a few more people joining the project at the end
of March so we will look at your plugin system then
in more detail.

By the way, I cc this email to 2 PhD candidates: Hugh Leather
(Edinburgh University) and Cupertino Miranda (INRIA) who were
interested in developing a unified plugin systems for GCC together
with the ICI. I think Hugh even had another working prototype
- If they are still interested, maybe they will comment on that ...

So whenever we are ready to extend the current version of ICI
for finer-grain transformations, we will get in touch to see
if we can use the common plugin system !..

Take care,
Grigori

Grigori Fursin, PhD
Research Scientist, INRIA, France