Re: RFC: GCC 4.4 criteria - add Fortran as primary language?

David Daney wrote:
Joe Buck wrote:
Maybe there could be a "semi-primary" or "experimental primary" status;
a feature could be treated as primary, but with the understanding that
the requirement will be waived if it causes excessive delay.  The
"experimental" label could be dropped after a few successful releases.

What is the real purpose of being a primary language?

From my point of view essentially only that regressions can be marked P1 to P3 and are thus on the radar of release manager. If some serious wrong-code regression has been found, I think it is good if it shows up as serious regression and not simply gets the comment
"Fortran is not release critical -> P4".

If Fortran were release critical, bugs could still be downgraded to P4 - either because it is seen as no release critical bug or no patch could be provided in time. (I think that Fortran PRs are a bit more likely to be downgraded by the RM than C PRs thus it would be anyway effectively a semi-primary language. Besides, also for primary languages the number of regressions is not zero and there are test-suite failures.)

So far, fortunately there were only few "release-critical" Fortran regressions and there were fixed quickly thus there was no problem in practice.

Regarding the number of test-suite failures: I think the number of failures is relatively low (see François-Xavier's email); we try to reduce them to zero, but without direct access to failing systems it takes a bit longer. Also several failures are libc problems, though one needs to verify this - on one system it might be due to a libc bug but on another it is a real bug (which is on the first system either not present or hidden by the libc bug).

> The only benefit I can really see is that it makes good PR.

For me this is less important, but granted it is also a benefit (-:

Tobias