Re: bootstrap broken on mingw

On Feb 18, 2008 10:59 AM, Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de> wrote:

> gcc/ChangeLog:
> 2008-02-17  Ralf Wildenhues  <Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de>
>
>         PR bootstrap/35218
>         * Makefile.in (build_file_translate): New.
>         (gcc-vers.texi): Use it for translating $(abs_srcdir).
>         * config.build (build_file_translate): Set to `CMD //c' on MinGW.
>         * configure.ac (build_file_translate): Substitute it.
>         * configure: Regenerate.

This patch breaks native bootstrap on mingw systems that use
cygwin1.dll-dependent bash and development tools.  As such, that would
be a regression against all versions of gcc since at least 2.95.3

The  ' CMD  //c' (with 2 slashes preceding the switch  rather than the
one documented for cmd by Micrsosoft) is a MSYS-ism that causes
problems  with non-MSYS shells (including the one provided by MS in
its SFU package)

GCC corrently bootstaps just fine (with or without the earlier
abs_srcdir patch) on mingw using the cygwin bash shell, make and
configure. Using cygwin shell rather than the MSYS shell means that
DejaGnu testsuite can be run.  The last time I checked this was not
possible.  with MSYS.

Danny