Re: Turning cc1plus into a shared library

Argiris> I'm interested in turning cc1plus into a shared library with
Argiris> an API on top so that it's possible to:

Argiris> The API should be easy to use not only from C but from other
Argiris> languages that can use C libraries.

Argiris> Is there something similar that is already being developed ?
Argiris> Any thoughts on the above ?

There are a few developments in this area.  As far as I know none of
them is focused on turning gcc into a shared library; instead they
work as plugins.

Here's the stuff I'm following:

GCC Plugins branch.  Presented at 2007 GCC Summit.

    http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GCC_Plugins

Basile's MELT project.  Also from the 2007 Summit, should be made
into a branch soon:

    http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/MiddleEndLispTranslator

GCC Dehydra -- uses javascript as an extension language:

    http://wiki.mozilla.org/Dehydra_GCC

(Taras Glek's blog is worth reading -- most Dehydra news is posted
there.)

Finally, for just examining the results (not modifying things as GCC
compiles), you might consider GCC-XML.

    http://www.gccxml.org/HTML/Index.html

Whether any of these will make it into GCC is an open question.  I
suggest reading the list archives before re-opening this topic.

Tom