This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the GCC project.
Re: Ada: building 4.3 cross-gnattools with gcc-4.2.1
- From: Arnaud Charlet <charlet at adacore dot com>
- To: Rolf Ebert <rolf dot ebert dot gcc at gmx dot de>
- Cc: gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org
- Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:52:31 +0100
- Subject: Re: Ada: building 4.3 cross-gnattools with gcc-4.2.1
- References: <47B74F2E.email@example.com>
> 1) Is it supposed to work? (i.e. building an Ada cross compiler 4.3 by a
> 4.2 compiler)
No, as documented, you need a matching native compiler to build a cross Ada
compiler (e.g. build from the same 4.3 sources a native compiler first, and
then use it to build the cross compiler).
> 2) does it work to build 4.3 cross-gnattools with the current 4.3 Ada
It does in general. I do not know for avr in particular.
> 3) Would a patch be accepted that makes the 4.3 gnattols be compilable
> by 4.2 compiler?
In general, no. On a case by case basis, assuming the patch is simple and
does not make the code worse in terms of maintenance, then it can be OK.