Re: GCC 4.3 target deprecation proposals

On Wed, 2008-01-23 12:18:31 +0100, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-01-22 10:31:35 -0800, Joe Buck <Joe.Buck@synopsys.COM> wrote:
> > So if you're a vax user, you can help keep the vax port alive by helping
> > to test it, reporting bugs, and testing proposed fixes.  That's no
> > guarantee, by the way, as volunteers are still needed to implement
> > the fixes.  Your company might want to consider contributing either
> > staff time or money to pay a consultant to help with maintaining the
> > vax port if it's important to you.
>
> Okay...  So I'll try to get a NetBSD installation in SIMH running
> these days. Matt et al, if you have some beforehand tips for me (like
> choosing the "best" HDD types etc.) it would be nice if you would drop
> me an email.

Most specific questions:

  - What is the largest HDD SIMH supports? There seems to be RA92
    support, but that's only 1.5GB.  With today's software, I guess
    the build requirements (checked-out trees of the software incl.
    SCM metadata, ...) are way above that :)

    What's the best way to get a "real" amount of storage into NetBSD
    on SIMH? NFS-mounting something from outside?

  - The NetBSD SIMH HOWTO
    (http://www.netbsd.org/ports/vax/emulator-howto.html) refers to
    load the ka655.bin eprom image, but upstream SIMH "only" contains
    the hacked version (ka655x.bin), which supports more RAM. Is it
    okay to assume NetBSD will accept this hacked ROM and give me as
    much RAM inside the instance as possible with it?

Thanks, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw@lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
 Signature of:                    Arroganz verkÃrzt fruchtlose GesprÃche.