RE: Memory leaks in compiler

On 18 January 2008 08:33, Gunther Nikl wrote:

> Kai Henningsen wrote:

>>>   So, no gcc without an MMU and virtual memory platform ever again?
>
> I am sorry Dave, but you are mistaken here.

> Programs directly using Amiga system functions to allocate resources
> have to release them back to the system before program end because
> AmigaOS on m68k doesn't offer "resource tracking". But the case
> discussed here is different: the C runtime tracks allocations done
> with standard functions, this includes memory allocations. Thus when
> the program exit()s such allocations are freed.

  Oh, that makes it all fine by me!

> I have no idea if 4.3 would run on AmigaOS/m68k though. The port
> bitrots since the switch from asm to RTL prologue/epilogue for m68k.

  Yes, it's been a long time since it was actively maintained.  I was
concerned that we would end up closing off access to Amiga and any similar
flat memory space architectures, but given what you say above I expect we
could rely on the C runtime to take care of us anywhere the operating system
doesn't.

    cheers,
      DaveK