Re: -Wparentheses lumps too much together

On 12/20/07, Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de> wrote:
>  <jklowden <at> freetds.org> writes:
> >
> > Yes, I know beginners get confused by and/or precedence.  But
> > *every* language that I know of that has operator precedence places
> > 'and' before 'or'.
>
> FWIW, Bourne shell doesn't, && and || have equal precedence there.
> That's a bit off-topic though, as it's not an argument against your
> actual proposition, but rather one for `sh -Wall'.  ;-)

It's not entirely off-topic.  Not all programmers are dedicated to a
specific language.  It's customary to work on several different
languages, and keeping things like operator precedance straight in
your head between languages is not always easy.  Things like -Wall are
a great help in making sure that you don't miss any of those
inter-language oddities.

As long as there are options to go either way, for instance:

o  -Wall checks by default, -Wno-parentheses disables
o  -Wall doesn't check by default, -Wparentheses enables

then it's really just a question of what should be enabled by default,
not what should be checked for at all.  The point is... does it really
matter, as long as everyone can go either way?