Re: Designs for better debug info in GCC

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 08:12:07PM -0500, Daniel Berlin wrote:
> > It is obvious that you misunderstood what I want, and how intrusive
> > the approach is.
> >

> Yes Alexandre, everyone who disagrees with you must not understand!
> That's really the problem here.
> None of us understand but you.

I have some sympathy for going in Alexandre's direction, in that it
would be nice to have a mode that provided optimization as well as
accurate debugging.  However, since preserving accurate debug information
has a cost, I think it would be better to turn -O1, not -O2, into the
mode that Alexandre wants, where debug information is preserved.  Trying
to rework all optimizations to keep perfect debug information is going
to take forever and make the compiler worse.