Re: [RFC] WHOPR - A whole program optimizer framework for GCC

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 16:02 -0800, Chris Lattner wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2007, at 3:41 PM, Harvey Harrison wrote:
> >> In terms of implementation, we will likely use the LTO branch as a
> >> basis. Many of the features we will need are already being
> >> implemented
> >> in the branch, so we will keep helping with that implementation.
> >>

> > I'm curious how this interacts/complements  with any efforts to
> > using the LLVM IR in LTO.
> >
> > Any pointers to where that discussion ended up?
>
> There are no plans to integrate LLVM with mainline GCC.  LLVM
> maintains its own permanent fork of GCC, which we periodically sync
> up with GCC's progress (e.g. LLVM 2.2 will include a GCC 4.2 based
> front-end).  There is also work underway to build llvm-native front-
> end technology (http://clang.llvm.org).
>
> If you want LTO today, feel free to go to http://llvm.org/ :)
> otherwise LLVM is irrelevant to this discussion.

I was more interested in the format of the IR gcc ends up using, I was
curious where the discussion had gotten for LTO in gcc-land.  The LLVM
representation seemed rather sane, and already has at least one
implementation of tools using it.

Harvey