Re: Something is broken in repack

From: Nicolas Pitre <nico@cam.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:21:11 -0500 (EST)

> BUT.  The point is that repacking the gcc repo using "git repack -a -f
> --window=250" has a radically different memory usage profile whether you
> do the repack on the earlier 2.1GB pack or the later 300MB pack.

If you repack on the smaller pack file, git has to expand more stuff
internally in order to search the deltas, whereas with the larger pack
file I bet git has to less often undelta'ify to get base objects blobs
for delta search.

In fact that behavior makes perfect sense to me and I don't understand
GIT internals very well :-)