Re: BITS_PER_UNIT less than 8 (was: Re: BITS_PER_UNIT larger than 8 -- word addressing)

Boris Boesler <baembel@gmx.de> writes:

>   Ok, so what have I to do to write a back-end where all addresses
> are given in bits?

That's kind of an extreme case.  But it sounds like you are following
the right approach.

>   Without these changes the compiler stops with internal error
> mesages. With these changes gcc/cc1 generates a bus error.
>
> So, what can I do to get this running for my architecture?

Well, you have to look at the generated code, find out where it is
wrong, and fix it.  There is no royal road to success.  It's always
hard to write a new gcc backend.  And since your backend is so
unusual, it's likely to be unusually hard.

Ian