Re: Rant about ChangeLog entries and commit messages

Eric Botcazou wrote:
I'd go even further, and say if the GNU coding standards say we
shouldn't be putting descriptions of why we are changing things in the
ChangeLog, than they should be changed and should be ignored on this
point until they do.  Pointing to them as the if they are The One True
Way seems very suspect to me.  After all, how else would they ever
improve if nobody tries anything different?

The people who wrote them presumably thought about these issues, too.

Maybe so, but I guess we only have a record of what they came up with and not why :-) :-)

In the Ada revision histories, we have always given the what-and-the-why
(and if necessary the why-not), and they have proved very helpful, I always found the RH's for gigi (done in the gcc style, much less helpful
because they omitted the why).

Of course you have to watch out for people forgetting that RH's never
substitute for comments, but all patches are reviewed, and if that
happens it gets fixed during the review process.