Re: Bug in builtins.def, the execve. don't use execle, use execel.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 05:44:02PM -0500, Michael Meissner wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 05:39:33PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > >The more easy specification will be
> > >
> > >int execel(const char *path, const char *arg0, char *const envp[],
> > >                ... /*, (char *)0*/);
> > >
> > >with same functionality but reordered the parameters of the function
> > >following the general pattern of putting '...' in the last position.
> >
> > Don't blame gcc developers (whose mailing list this is, unless something
> > changed recently and I wasn't warned); take the discussion in the
> > appropriate places and they'll care to explain you the reasons (maybe).
> >
> > Paolo
>
> These system calls are part of the Opengroup standard for UNIX (which Linux
> adheres to), and they have been around for many years.  At this point, I don't
> recall if they were part of the UNIX V7 that is the ancestor of all modern
> Linux, UNIX, BSD, etc. systems or whether they first appeared in System III or
> BSD 4.2 (early 1980's).

V7 only had execl and execv.  The C library was much smaller in those
days; see

http://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixTree/V7/usr/lib/llib-lc.html

for a list of all the calls (as a Lint library).  Those of you who
don't remember K&R C, and lint, might find it a bit confusing.