Re: BITS_PER_UNIT larger than 8 -- word addressing

Joseph S. Myers wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, Michael Eager wrote:

Well, can't do that.  This is not target dependent.
DImode gets defined, and used, for long long in unwind-dw2.c.

Is it defined what DWARF unwind information looks like when made up of bytes wider than 8 bits? Certainly GCC's code won't allow for it at present.

I expect that the unwind code is broken unless long long is 8 bytes. IIRC, unwind confuses host and target integer sizes.

The string handling code is a major area which doesn't allow for target and host bytes being different. But everything target-independent hardcoding integer modes wider than QImode is potentially wrong; with wide bytes, many of those modes may not exist.

IMO, it looks like the absence of a supported 32-bit word-addressed target let the support for BITS_PER_UNIT != 8 fall into disrepair.

I think that there is a pervasive understanding that SImode is
single precision integer, 32-bits long.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077