Re: Suggestion for removing flex/bison as a dependancy

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
On Mon, Nov 26, 2007 at 11:39:47PM +0530, Karthik Kumar wrote:
I would like to propose a set of diffs to enable compilation of gcc
without requiring flex/bison. I feel that this would greatly benefit
the variety of users building gcc.

Please be more concrete. I strongly disagree that there is benefit.

I'm with Daniel on this one.

Note that only building from a checkout requires flex and bison;
release tarballs do not.

Do we verify this?

I seem to recall bison and makeinfo being needed for a recent release tarball, although I don't remember the details (perhaps it was with binutils 2.18).

David Daney